MINI Cooper R53 Auto Tranny Issue

MINI Cooper Automatic Transmission Issue

For years, we have seen many MINI Coopers in the R53 / R52 line, and some models of the R56 line (up to 2011), with the AISIN automatic transmission (NOT the CVT transmission…those are still without a great solution), have all sorts of issues, usually starting at about 70-80k miles.  This, while concerning, would not normally be an issue, but for the longest time there were no solutions….if this occurred to your car, the only choice was to get another transmission (either used, or rebuilt from MINI).  This is still a solution, but a very expensive solution, and we have seen cases where the repair cost and transmission cost are more than the value of the car.  So, if this happened to you…before, you could just throw a stick of dynamite into the car and walk away, as there was nothing that could be done. You could even make the problem worse by trying to do a normal transmission service…replace the fluid (lifetime type fluid), filter, pan, gasket, and then test drive the car.  You may get about 1/2 mile into the test drive, and then the transmission will quit completely, stranding you.  The new fluid, and clean filter, are so thin, that they “blow by” the current used internal seals / gaskets, and the hydraulic solenoids can not develop the right pressure, and therefore, stop working.

Thank goodness, there now finally is an answer.

The problem laid in the valve body inside the transmission.  Before, you could not obtain any parts, at least not from MINI or BMW….you couldn’t find part numbers, nothing  And, for the most part, that is still the same.  However, there are many other cars out there that use this same transmission.  So, after much research, BRracing has found a source for the internal parts of the AISIN type GAF21WA-TANA or 6F21WA/TF60N automatic transmission.

We can now get any of the solenoids, the valve body, or any of the normal “re-build” type parts.  Not only can we get them, but we have tried various approaches on the rebuild…doing a complete valve body, doing individual solenoids..or some combination, and we can joyously report that ALL these approaches work.  Woo Hoo…no more dead cars, no more throwing the car out w the bath water.

BRracing – solving the tough service issues, and bringing JOY to our customers

16 Comments

1. Posted August 23, 2017 at 4:57 am | Permalink

I also faced these issues with my car, this is really a very good blog seen in my search. The solution was really cool and thanks for sharing.

2. NW
    Posted October 2, 2017 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Hi,

I have a 2006 Mini Cooper S automatic transmission with shifters behind the steering wheel. How much do you guys charge for the solenoids? Can I purchase them through your website?

3. Carlos Vazquez
    Posted May 11, 2018 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

I have a 2005 Mini Cooper s, that’s been having all of these problems that you are mentioning here.
    Can I get the solenoids from you guys? And how much will they cost me?
    My car only acts up in first and second gear, and on downshift also. Can I purchase only one solenoid for that, from you guys?
    Thankyou for your help. Please contact me. Carlos

4. Leo A. Perrin
    Posted August 6, 2018 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

I have just purchased a 2005 mini cooper s with slippage up to 40 mph. Can you send me info on what I would need to fix this. And part numbers and how much? Thank you so much.

5. Vio
    Posted August 20, 2018 at 5:11 am | Permalink

I have a mini cooper convertible since 2005, 42,000 miles, automatic gearbox. When it gets hot, shocks come on when changing speeds. Even when you change from P to D or R. Do you have a solution? And how much does it cost?

6. DOM MASSONI
    Posted October 11, 2018 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

Mini trans issue will not shift between gears shifts into neutral
    Cost of rebuilt value body or information to repair thank u. Dominic

7. jacob
    Posted November 14, 2018 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Hi, I have a 2006 mini slipping and having shift problems when warmed up. Can you tell me if these solenoids might be the issue. I have done a bit of research and it seems to be a common thing. All i have tried is a straight change of transmission oil, no filter or anything. What might the part no. be? And will i need to reset the computers? (sending from Australia)

8. jacob
    Posted November 14, 2018 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Hi, I have a 2006 mini slipping and having shift problems when warmed up. Can you tell me if these solenoids might be the issue. I have done a bit of research and it seems to be a common thing. (sending from Australia)

9. RobDuce
    Posted November 16, 2018 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Hi. I have a 2005 Cooper S in Brisbane Australia

Been reading your Website , it brings up a pa 9074
    Code solenoid A high voltage . Also puts it into 3 Ed gear limp mode
    When I select forward or reverse while it’s the limp mode it jolts
    Clear the codes transmission cold again it drives nice .
    Some as it gets warm code comes on and limp mode

Have changed transmission as per book level ok
    Checking wiring no problems . I suspect solenoids .
    Do you ship to australia . Vin no TG90147 . Cheers Rob

10. tom
    Posted December 24, 2018 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

I HAVE 2005 COOPER S WITH HARD SHIFT INTO REV. AND MAKING NOISE. DO YOU THINK VALVE BODY AND SOLENOID WILL FIX PROBLEM?

11. Than Khaing Myint
    Posted January 14, 2019 at 3:30 am | Permalink

Hi,

I have a 2006 Mini Cooper S automatic transmission with shifters behind the steering wheel. How much do you guys charge for the solenoids? How can I purchase them?

12. Posted January 19, 2019 at 9:59 am | Permalink

have just purchased a 2005 mini cooper s with slippage up to 40 mph. Can you send me info on what I would need to fix this. And part numbers and how much? Thank you so much. My wife really likes the car so I want to get it back on the road.

13. Jason
    Posted February 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Hi.

I have a 2006 Mini Cooper S with automatic transmission. I replaced both axles this weekend. I also replaced the timing chain, valve cover gasket, and oil pan gasket. Once done, I started the car and engine idles and sounds great. But I can’t say the same about the transmission. I can change the gear lever from park to reverse, natural and drive… but the car doesn’t move. When returning to From reverse to park, there is a grinding sound in the gearbox. I turned the engine off and found out that whem in park, I can push the car as if it’s in neutral.

The car’s front was on jack stands for four weeks and there wasn’t any transmission fluid leaks. It ran well and shifted fine before i worked on it.

Any thoughts, please?

14. Nick Guerrero
    Posted February 18, 2019 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

2005 Mini Cooper Automatic Transmission CVT

Great little car, but about 30 miles to 45 miles
    once i release my foot from the gas pedal, from 2500 RPM to 4000 RPM when the car is slowing down.

its trying to down shift automatically as it slows down.
    I thought it was a miscommunication from the computer when it tells the car to shift down..

Let me know if it’s something simple. solenoid replacement?? (Need help)

15. Brian Harkness
    Posted March 20, 2019 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

I have a 2006 Cooper S R53 with the 6 speed Aisin trans. It started hard shifting up and down. Replaced the fluid and only hard shifting 2nd. Looking for info on purchasing parts from you to fix. Please contact me.

16. Gordon S
    Posted April 3, 2019 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

I have personally changed the valve body in my
    2006 Mini Cooper S. Twice. The current one has a
    Slight issue with 1-2 upshift when moderately warmed up.
    It’s new fluid. Will this settle down in time. I only have
    220 miles in this body and fluid change. Is the BMW fluid
    Better than the Aisin brand or us it the same stuff?
    I am using the Aisin brand. Thanks for any suggestions